11 Truths About Extraordinary Leaders
Below are 11 truths that separate, Managers & Leaders from Extraordinary Leaders:
- Leadership is something most leaders believe they do extremely well. And yet…poor leadership is still the number one reason people leave an organization.
- When an average leader is leading, their people say, “Look at what our leader has done. When an extraordinary leader leads, their people say, “Look at what we have accomplished!”
- If you believe that leadership is about you – you are blind and cannot see! If you believe and act as if leadership is all about your people – you have vision!
- More than 50% of all leaders take leadership positions for the compensation. They do not feel called to be a leader, they were called by the money. That might explain Truth #1!
- When you believe that you have learned all that you possibly can about being a leader, look at yourself through the eyes of your people, and you will see that you still have more to learn.
- The skills you used to be a great individual contributor, that helped you to become a leader, may become obstacles in your path as a leader.
- Being an Extraordinary leader is not something you do, as much as it is someone you be.
- The biggest factor getting in your way of being a successful leader is your ego!
- Extraordinary leaders do not want to be revered. They want to be trusted and respected.
- Extraordinary leaders know they will not be trusted nor respected if they do not first trust and respect their people. This must be demonstrated in both words and actions.
- Each and every day you have the opportunity to influence others to do or to be their very best! This is what it means to lead others.
Just a few thoughts to think about as you begin to plan how you will be an even better leader this year…