“I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on, I can’t believe you.” ~
“The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.” ~
Recently, I expanded my reading to include books and articles whose premise or concepts are outside of my normal reading selections and genres.
The goal: to expand my world-view to be more inclusive, to go outside of my comfort zone, and to learn about perspectives beyond my current beliefs and system.
As a result, I have been reflecting on a few beliefs that I find now to be far more true than what I had previously believed. I felt compelled to share them with you even though I know that they may or may not be truths for you. I purposely positioned these truth next to what I believe is the opposing untruth. Yes, an untruth is now the politically correct term for a lie. Many of these are being told to us in the news, the media, or from our politicians.
8 Lies 8 Truths:
- LIE: It’s okay to exclude groups of people from your social circle, church, clique, or club. TRUTH: We unconsciously do this thinking it makes us better than others – we’re not, it actually makes us less than.
- LIE: It is about politics, what is right, ideology, the greater good, freedom, the American People etc. TRUTH: NO, it is always about the money! Follow the money trail and you will see the true motive behind all the smoke and mirrors. Proof? Look at the healthcare system and the money invested in drug commercials. For the record, the U.S. and New Zealand are the only countries permitting direct-to-consumer pharmaceutical advertising.
- LIE: We are a country divided! TRUTH: We are more united and closer together than they tell us we are! Stop watching the news and trust yourself.
- LIE: The current political system in this country is about equal opportunities for everyone. TRUTH: Our current political system (albeit better than most) is about separation of wealth, repression, and inequality. It has been the same throughout the world for 1000’s of years.
- LIE: ANY form of gun control is about the government wanting to suppress my rights as an American. TRUTH: Most people, even responsible gun owners, want some type of gun control that is rooted in common-sense. The problem is that politicians are afraid to stop the flow of money into their reelection coffers to change it!
- LIE: I am a politician, and I am here for the American people! TRUTH: I am a politician, and my purpose is to make sure that I get reelected and my party controls the House, Senate, and Executive Branch of the government
- LIE: Social Media was created to increase the connection between human beings TRUTH: Social Media was created to generate revenue, ad revenue to be exact. Yes, again, it is about the money. If you don’t think this is true, read, The Chaos Machine by Max Fisher, you will be appalled!
- LIE: Removing statues and attempting to rewrite history in an effort to forget, will prevent us from making the same mistakes again. TRUTH: Elie Wiesel spoke these words as it pertained to his experience in the concentrations camp at Auschwitz, “For the survivor who chooses to testify, it is clear: his duty is to bear witness for the dead and for the living. He has no right to deprive future generations of a past that belongs to our collective memory. To forget would be not only dangerous but offensive.”
It doesn’t matter whether you agree or you don’t.
The whole idea of this blog post is to challenge you to look at what you believe…question it, examine it!
Ask yourself, do your beliefs serve only you, or do they serve all of humanity? Do your beliefs benefit only you, or do they benefit the whole of the world?
We humans like to think we are disconnected from each other and that we can exist in our own little bubble so we can pretend we are safe and secure.
TRUTH: We cannot!