“I dare you to move, I dare you to move, I dare you to pick yourself up off the floor” – Switchfoot
How To Pick Yourself Up
Have you ever started your day feeling like everything was going your way? Until it wasn’t!
Maybe it starts when you get a bit of not-so-great news. But you think to yourself, “No worries, this is probably happening for a good reason, maybe I need to learn something here?”
A little bit later another not-so-positive event comes up and you say, “Hmmmmm, I wonder if I am doing something to attract this stuff?”
Then finally, you get hit with one more frustrating event. An event, that in-and-of- itself would normally be a just a blip. Except, this is the third not-so positive event in a row and now you’re thinking, “WHAT THE HELL?”
At that point, you might feel like the weight of the world has landed on you and you are pinned to the floor! You start asking yourself questions, “Why me? Why today? What else can possibly go wrong?”
A Wicked Turn
And then while you are down, as if out of nowhere, that little voice in your head starts chattering…
The voice whispers, “What’s wrong with me? Maybe, I’m not X enough? Y enough? OMG, what if I am not L-M-N-O-P enough”?
Okay at this point, I just have to say, “Please don’t tell me I am the only person in the world who has ever had these thoughts or voices running around in my head?”
I didn’t think so!
But then miraculously, the sky parts and a voice from someplace deep inside of me. It is a voice that sounds a lot like Yosemite Sam shouts out, “Kill the power, Kill the power, I say kill the power… dagnabbit!”
3 Gut Check Questions to Pick Yourself Up
Okay, at this moment in time, I get just enough of a pause to ask myself, “What would I tell a Coaching client, if this were happening to them?”
I would ask them 3 questions:
- What are you afraid of losing? – Fear is always associated with loss. Obviously, I am in a place of fear or scarcity, yes scare-city!
- What is the truth? – Knowing 97% of the things I worry about never happen or I am perfectly equipped to handle the situation!
- What needs to happen right now? – What action do I need to take to move forward and get back on track into a more positive mindset? And then just do it!
Answering these questions will move you from an emotional state of reaction in the future and into a more logical state of reason in the present. In other words from victim to victor!
3 Valuable Life Lessons
Over the course of my life, I have learned some valuable lessons. Lessons, I need to be reminded of from time to time.
Recently, I had an interaction with an HR Manager at a client. To be honest, the person was extremely unprofessional. They thought it was okay to project their fears, insecurities, and inadequacies onto me.
My first thought was, “Oh no, I am going to lose this customer, and we will never ever do business again, and yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah.” Then I thought to myself, “Why would I want to work with anyone as unprofessional as this?” “Why would I ever sacrifice my values for a fee?”
I then had to remind myself about the truth (my truth) and what I believe about the way the world works. These are the 3 lessons I have learned:
- If I lose a deal, a client, a gig I will find more because the world is a place of abundance…there is always more!
- If plans don’t unfold exactly the way I want them to, I can still have a great time. As long as I stay present in the moment and open myself up to greater possibilities or gifts!
- When I fully trust the process and embrace it exactly as it is unfolding…I am free! Free to pick myself up, dust myself off and move forward!
3 Things to Never Ever Forget
It is in those times of uncertainty, when I feel like my world is out of control, I must do my best to never forget 3 critically important things:
- Never ever forget who you are (your true, authentic self)!
- Never ever forget what you do (your mission)!
- Never ever forget why you are here (your purpose)!
Remember those things…and you will always find a way to pick yourself up!
Need a little help? (Click here)