I Can’t Belief This!!!!
How many times have you said to yourself: I just can’t believe this?
Was it after seeing something that didn’t make any sense? Was it after seeing something that outraged you? Maybe it was seeing or experiencing something that you couldn’t explain?
One of the models I use with clients is Beliefs (what we think) drives Behaviors (what we do) and those actions create the Results (what we get) in our lives.
Based on this model, if there is an area of your life that you are dissatisfied, you would simply look at the belief that is driving the actions and then realign them with the results you truly want.
Sounds simple doesn’t it?
Shifting Your Beliefs
Shifting your beliefs sounds simple, it is not always easy. Especially, if it’s a belief that you were imprinted with a long time ago. A belief you have held onto regardless of whether or not it serves you in a negative way!
It is important to note that everything we do serves us in some way, it might not be healthy, but we get something from every action we take!
Below is a list of beliefs to review to see if any of them are holding you back from achieving the results you really want in life.
You will know it is an old belief you need to get rid of based on your reaction, so be as honest as possible.
10 Beliefs That Could Be Holding You Back From Living Life Fully:
- I cannot be happy if I’m alone.
- It is my responsibility to make everyone else happy.
- I am responsible for the behaviors, moods, or choices of others.
- I am stuck with the family I was born into….
- I can’t change x or y or z, I’ve always been this way, it’s who I am!
- I don’t deserve to be ________(fill in the blank) – i.e. happy, wealthy, loved, etc.
- I have to pay for the mistakes I’ve made in my life.
- I’m stuck in my current situation because I __________(fill in the blank)
- I’m tool old/young to be or do________(fill in the blank).
- _______________________________________ (Intentionally left blank for you to fill in).
So what about you? Any beliefs on that list that you need to say – “I won’t belief this anymore?”
I Won’t Belief This Anymore
Are you ready to let it go?
Below is a list of 3 questions to ask yourself so you can gain clarity on why you need to let go of that old belief.
I find it best to put my thoughts in writing, it is much more effective than simply saying it out loud or simply thinking about it. So, grab a pen and paper and answer the following 3 questions as detailed as you can:
- What is it costing you to hold onto this old belief – financially, mentally, emotionally, relationally, or physically?
- How does this old belief serve me? What do I get from it? (security, playing small, less responsibility, can’t fail since I didn’t try, ).
- How would my life be different/better if I were to let it go?
Now might be a good time to decide if the cost of staying stuck is greater than the risk to live the life you truly want?
It is also a good time to rewrite the belief you need to get the results you really want!
Choose Your Dream Life
One of the professional speakers that was a driving force in my decision to quit my job and follow my dream, was the late Ray Pelletier. He had a saying, “Today is January 1st!”
He went onto say that it was a choice and that each and every day could be a new beginning.
Approximately 24 years ago, Ray spoke at a sales meeting I was attending. That was the day I decided to follow my dream to be a professional speaker, author, and coach.
In order to do this, I had to let go of all the fears and old beliefs that were telling me to be cautious, play it safe and secure. Since then I have rarely had a single day of regret, all because I chose to rid myself of a few old tired beliefs that were holding me back!
So what are you waiting for?